FAO COMMISSION ON FINANCE, BUDGET, AND REFORM
Member States of the Organization for Food and Agriculture (FAO) elected Mario Arvelo as Chair of the Commission on Finance, Budget, and Reform of the United Nations; beyond leading discussions in a wide array of subjects with a global impact for the functioning of the United Nations specialized in the fight against hunger and malnutrition, Arvelo led the negotiations that concluded with a 13% budgetary expansion of the FAO technical cooperation programs across the world, the most significant budget increase in the history of the Organization.
As Commission Chair, Arvelo presented to the plenary —and argued in favor of— its conclusions, obtaining approval of the Programme of Work and Budget for the 2008-09 biennium, as well as the results of the FAO structural reform process, the most profound ever implemented in an agency of the international system.
Other links to Mario Arvelo’s work in the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- Mario Arvelo at FAO
- With the Director-General
- In Council (Candidate for Chair of Council 2021-23)
- In the Committee on World Food Security
- In the Committee on Agriculture
- In the Global Soils Partnership
- In the Commission on Finance, Budget, and Reform
- In the Programme Committee
- In the Appeals Committee
- In the Regional Conferences
- In the Committee on Forestry
- In field inspection visits